Followers

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Box Cars


Many of the supplies that kept the US Army going in Europe were taken from the American heartland by rail to ports of embarkation. New York City was a major port then as it is now.


A single Liberty Ship could hold as many as 300 box cars full of supplies. Naturally, I determined that means I need to have 300 box cars in my collection. I don't have that many yet, but I am working on it. Recently I posted some photos of a few of my refrigerated box cars, here are some for dry goods.


A US Army division in WWII used thirty box cars worth of supplies every day. So one Liberty Ship could supply one division for ten days. Since I am building about one division, one Liberty Ship worth of supplies seems about right.


2 comments:

Epictetus said...

So when are you going to post a picture of the Liberty ship itself. Presumably you have one.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Not yet, but it's on the agenda.

I did convert a Matchbox/Revell 1/72nd scale Flower Class Corvette into a merchant ship. It's about three feet long.