Followers

Friday, October 31, 2008

Bring Out the Big Guns, Camrade




In my rule system, for guns to be able to make indirect artillery fire as a battery they have to meet the definition of a batter. The guns must be close together, they must have fire control center, they must have an ammunition supply and if they intend to adjust the indirect fire, they must have a forward observer. Shown above is one of my ammo dumps. It is the same sort of boxes tailored to fit the back of a Roco truck bed. I give each of my artillery batteries a two letter identification number. I often make a little plaque like the RC shown here to designate which battery gets the ammo dump. This is Russian battery, letter C.

This photo show the ammo dump for Russian battery, D. The figures are from the old and nearly uselessly outdated Airfix Russian Infantry. The set is pretty terrible, but then it is close to fifty years old. Many of those old soldiers have been sent to the artillery; this figure has had his rather nebulous sub machine gun removed and now he pushes boxes around.


In the olden days before we had expensive European resin kits; did I say fragile? I meant to say expensive, fragile European resin kits there was Lyzard Grin. This company made 1/76th scale cheap, soft metal artillery. They had a huge range and it was cheap, and durable. These Russian 203mm guns are from then and are probably close to thirty years old. I based them on a sheet of styrene and then flocked it with Woodland Scenics flocking stuff. Set up side to side like this they make a really nice Russian eight inch artillery battery.



The gun is huge and it ways a ton, I think I paid less than $3 each for these guns, a great deal. My Airfix / Esci crewmen will man these monsters when the Battle of Berlin comes.

No comments: