Followers

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Games of Chance





















http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Custom_Dice_Home.htm

Chessex makes dice and now they even make custom dice. I had them whip up these wonderful dice for my wargame system. Now your homegrown wargame rules don't have to make do with whatever dice you can find at the hobby shop, you can get your own special ones made for you.






















Back in the olden times we used to play Tractics and they suggested making a random number generator by labeling 20 pennies in 5% increments, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 and 00. Place the pennies in a box. When you needed to shoot, you would draw a penny from the box and there was your random number. I have long moved on from Tractics, but I always liked the idea of shooting tables being marked off in 5% increments. 1% always seemed to be too fine a margin to me and larger than 5% always seemed too big a jump between classes of fire. With custom dice, I am all set.























These dice are opaque white, good solid plastic, with engraved and blackened numbers. Even with my old tired eyes I can still read them easily at arms lengh, the font is quite bold.





















Or friend the HaT German soldier points out the 00 and just over his shoulder you can read the 5. At a dollar per side, these are $20 each, but well worth the cost considering the quality. They arrived only a few days after I ordered them, so not only good, but really fast too.

No comments: