Followers

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Dead Can Be Useful
















As many of you know, I am not too enthusiastic about figure sets with dead or wounded guys, but I have been trying to find uses for them. In this case, I have the Imex Mexican Infantry at the Alamo set, with the man in the middle getting wounded. A very exciting pose to be sure, but you get two per box, and I don't use wounded guys.















Since I have large numbers of these guys, I had to figure out what to do with all the wounded. I cut off the arm holding the rifle, and the head. Then I cut out a small circle of sheet styrene about 15mm in diameter.








Then I took the extra rifles and stacked arms, gluing them together with Goo an all purpose rubber cement. Goo is sold in model RR stores. This little stack will be combined with several others to make a little camp scene. The Mexicans laid siege to the Alamo and were there for over two weeks. With thousands of troops on hand they set up camps to surround the chapel complex and waited for the artillery barrage before any serious attacks were made.

I will combine these stacked arms with some of the other Imex accessories, campfires, frying pans, etc to make the bivouac area. Some of the Imex Eastern Friendly Indians female figures and some of the Indians from the Pegasus California Mission Indians will also complete the camp followers. With every three boxes of Imex Mexican Infantry I can make two of these sets.


6 comments:

Protect_and_Serve said...

Just curious, why don't you like the wounded guys? Are all your battles set up to portray the beginning of the attack?

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

The wargame rule set that I use calls for the removal of the dead or wounded as the are no longer in play. Not unlike in chess or checkers. Therefore those figures that depict dead or wounded are not needed.

Herrentanz said...

I agree with your comment, wounded people must be substituted by other piece type

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

It seems to me that dead and wounded solders are easy to make if you really needed them. And a few generic dead guys could pass for dead from many periods. Orion makes a really good dead guy that I actually use for my Graves Registration unit in my WWII US Army Corp.

Jim. said...

I do not use casualty figures either. I like Conte 1/32nd scale figures, but find that they often give you two different casualty figures in one box. Since they give you two of each pose, you wind up with 4 out of 16 figures as casualties. If I were doing dioramas, this would be okay, but for wargaming 25% casualty figures is a waster of plastic.
Jim.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Conte makes some great figures, I wish they were sold in 1/72nd scale! They do seem to have a rather high number of dead and wounded in their sets and often have rather odd poses too. The detail is great and the variety is very good too.