Followers

Friday, May 23, 2008

Make Me a House


Do your Army Men have a place to live? For years I have been building model buildings, but recently I have started making building interiors. For role playing games or city fighting games, these are essential. First, you need to get furniture, and there are many good places to get it from. I like to check not only miniature wargame companies, but also model railroad companies. Model railroad shops usually have a nice selection of various passenger car interiors, and office furniture. Prieser sells some excellent furniture, it is very well done, and includes modern items, like computers.
Look for other scales to provide furniture too. I often check out the 28mm and fantasy ranges to get various furniture. Sometimes you can can cut down chair or table legs to make furniture shorter to fit your figures. I have have learned to make furniture. Most furniture is pretty simple, a table is just a bit of sheet plastic, and four rods as legs. Get a couple bits of Plastruct or special shapes from Evergreen Plastic and you can make all sorts of furniture.
I went shopping on line for rugs and carpets and drapes. Download the pictures of real carpets and print them up. Check catalogs for carpet and drape ads too. These add a nice bit of realism to rooms. I got some nice maps from advertisements in National Geographic. All these small items add color and extra realism.
In the photo above, I have used various furniture to make a small office, restroom, and lobby. This will work from the ACW to now in various locations. My building interiors are designed to either fit inside specific buildings, or to represent solid buildings. It makes role playing much more realistic when the figures can go inside all your buildings.

No comments: