Followers

Monday, May 12, 2008

Alamo Artillery Procurement

My Alamo project continues to move forward. Some of my research says the Mexicans had a large variety of cannon, most of which was pretty small. They also seem to have mixed their battery's so that they had two or even three sizes of gun in a single battery. I suppose this gives you maximum tactical flexibility, but must really annoy the supply train troops.


To accommodate this I have been collecting not only the Mexican Artillery At The Alamo set from Imex, but also their British Artillery Set, from the American Revolutionary War. I am not much of a painter, so I am happy that the Alamo set and the British set are both available in red plastic. The Alamo set is also sold in blue plastic, which seems to be the more recent output.

This is a photo showing the Alamo Mexican Artillery with both the Alamo cannon and the British cannon, the smaller gun on the left. I am intending to use some of the British cannon with the Mexicans to provide some smaller guns to my Mexican army. I also intend to then transfer some of the Mexican artillery to my American Revolutionary War British Army so they will have some larger guns.


British cannon on the left, Alamo Mexican Artillery commander in the center, and Alamo Mexican Artillery gun on the right side.

2 comments:

Jim. said...

The British gun appears to be a howitzer designed for high angle fire to getwhat's hiding on the other side of the hill. The Mexican weapon appears to be a gun more suited for direct fire.
Jim.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, the Mexicans bombarded the Alamo for days and did little damage. Howitzers that could lob shells over the walls may kill someone inside, but not do much to destroy the defenses.